As an employer, there are certain employee rights which you must protect and provide for your staff. All employees have the right to:
- Fair compensation
- Freedom from discrimination
These cannot legally be taken away from any employee. As an employer it is your responsibility to provide these basic rights, in addition to any rights stated in a contract signed by the employer and employee.
Before a contract is even signed, there are certain rights that must be met:
- The right to a safe place: an employer must provide a work environment that keeps the employee free from harm.
- The right to not be discriminated against on the basis of race, religion, age, sex, gender, etc.
- The right to file a claim against an employer.
- The right to a fair wage for the work they are performing.
When Employee Rights are Violated
As businesses and organizations know, problems can arise. If a worker feels that his or her rights were taken away, abused, or ignored, situations can get complicated quickly. An employee can file a claim, suing the business for damages, and he or she has the right to seek legal guidance. While the employee has the right to file a claim, by law, the employer also has the right to a defense.
What Do I Do if an Employee Files a Claim?
Just because a claim is filed does not mean you are at fault. Remember:
- Proof of “unjust treatment” must be present, and must be provided by the employee.
- A business lawyer can help direct you in the best steps to take. If you are at all unsure of what to do, contact a lawyer. Not only can an experienced attorney offer guidance, but he or shee will also work to protect your business’ reputation and make sure you don’t wind up paying damages for unsubstantiated claims.
- Filing a claim takes time. A thorough investigation will have to be done. Simas & Associates, Ltd., can help ensure that any investigation is efficient, thorough, detailed.
Experienced Business Attorneys Can Help
Rest assured, Simas & Associates, Ltd., can help with all your business needs. Our team has represented both businesses and licensed professionals before the state, local, and federal agencies. Simas & Associates, Ltd., has experience dealing with workers' rights in California, so we can best direct your company and protect your company’s safety and name.
Simas & Associates, Ltd., understands the pressure that claims against a company can cause, and that is why we strive to provide dedicated attorneys that value your company’s success. If you need help with an employee’s rights case, give us a call today.