Labor law—also referred to as labour law or employment law—is the body of law that governs a company’s rights and responsibilities to its team. Any time you hire an employee, enter a contract with an employee, or run a business, labor laws are at play. So what areas do labor laws impact and determine? Why do they matter?
What Labor Laws Cover
Labor law covers a wide variety of business considerations, including:
- Overtime pay
- Hours and hour restrictions (specifically, children under 16 years of age)
- Safety and health conditions (OSHA: The Occupational Safety and Health Act)
- Worker’s compensation
- Unions and their members
- Family and medical leave
- Veterans’ preference
- Financial aid
- Plant closings and layoffs
- Regulations of posters to be placed in workplace
Obviously, labor laws impact nearly every facet of employment. From payroll to financial aid, there is a law or regulation that must be heeded. Keeping on top of these regulations is one reason why it is crucial to contact an attorney if you have any questions or concerns involving your business. With the proliferation of local, state, and federal laws, it is important that you find an attorney who can navigate through all of the red tape without a problem. That is where Simas & Associates, Ltd., can help.
What Our Attorneys Can Offer
Simas & Associates, Ltd., offers employers the peace of mind of knowing that you have someone watching your back. You need someone that understands labor laws, the position of the employer, and the position of the employee. Simas & Associates, Ltd., can help you with all of the following areas. We can protect you against claims that are filed for:
- Recruitment advertising and interviewing
- Classification of employment status
- Wage and hour policies and procedures, including overtime
- Harassment and discrimination
- Employee privacy issues
- Protection of trade secrets, customer/client lists
- Federal and State leave laws (Family Medical Leave Act and California Family Rights Act)
- Disability compliance
- Reasonable accommodation
- Employee corrective action
- Employment termination
Contact Us Today!
When in doubt, don’t be confused and overwhelmed. Find an advocate that can help you navigate the elaborate web of regulation. Simas & Associates, Ltd., can help! We are here for all your business needs. Please do not hesitate to contact us today!